Tuesday, January 7, 2014

10 Skin Clearing Tips

A big focus of this blog is my quest for clear skin. For some reason my skin has gone CRAZY in the last 6 months. It could be due to stress, diet, hormonal changes... I don't care what is causing it, I just want it to stop. In this spirit I have complied my top 10 Skin Clearing Skin Tips. Mostly to remind myself!


1. Change Your Pillowcases Often

When I was in high school my Mom worked part time at her friend's spa and the esthetician told me to only sleep on one side of the pillow, flip it the next night and then wash the pillow case. This is a lot of work but the result are obvious. This has lead me to investing in several white pillow cases for this purpose. I chose white because they typically go on sale and can be bleached should I go to sleep with makeup on and smear it everywhere. Of course I get lazy with this and do follow through but notice a big difference when I am consistent. 

2. Wash Your Makeup Brushes

Makeup brushes are a breeding ground for bacteria and product to gunk up your pores. Washing your brushes consistently removes all that crap thus limiting the chances it gets on your face. 



3. Use a Fresh Wash Cloth

After washing my face there is ALWAYS water everywhere. I need something clean and bacteria free to remove the excess water. I use white wash clothes so I can bleach the crap out of them.  I grab a new wash cloth every.single.time.

4. Salicylic Acid is YOUR Friend!


My favorite Salicylic Acid Cleanser
Here is an easy to read article about Salicylic Acid: http://www.teenvogue.com/beauty/skin-care/2012-12/salicylic-acid-versus-benzoyl-peroxide

5. HYDRATE!

When I stay hydrated I notice a HUGE difference in the clarity of my skin.  I've been told that the water  helps to remove the waste from your body so it's not trying to escape from your skin. Isn't that a powerful visual. 

6. Be Consistent

I really need to take my own advice! I have a hard time being consistent with a skincare routine, luckily, this is improving with age.  I would agree that every bit counts but the more often you practice these tips, the clearer your skin will look. 

7. Dot your Face

I regularly go to sleep and chill in my house with dots of spot remover all over my face. This is also very entertaining for my roommate.  I like to dot spot treatments and masks on a concentrated area so it does not dry out my face. I like doing this with masks that contain sulfur. They seem to be the most effective. 

8. Exfoliate

This seems to work for me because I am removing the old skin and revealing the new skin. It also prevents the skin debris from getting too clogged. 

9.  DO NOT go to sleep with your makeup on!!!!

Sigh. How many of us do this and know it is a bad thing to do! Part of my problem is I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. The other part of the equation is my natural laziness. Whenever I fall asleep with foundation (especially LONG WEAR formulas) my skin revolts. I am trying to wash my face when I get home from the day to reduce the chance of me falling sleep in my Estee Lauder Double Wear. 

10. Hands Away from YOUR FACE!

I usually always have my hands from my face. You can tell where my hands have been because there are usually breakouts there too! Limiting bacteria transfer can occur by keeping your hands clean. 



.... and REMEMBER you're BEAUTIFUL!
XO

Note: All pictures and opinions are my own. Also I am not a doctor or skin care professional and my ideas are based on personal experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment